Thursday, January 5, 2012

Riding Diary: 4

Horse: Freckles!

Bit: Basic Snaffle, then Chain Mouth Bit

Time: 1.5 hr

Ride: You guuuyysss I am sleepy, so this is going to be a bit on the short side. (Who am I kidding? I have a severe long-winded problem) I rode frecklyfreckles tonight, as you may remember I love this little mare's disposition. So I was quite happy to ride her, and also Trouble, my go-to horse, has gone back home to be with her real owners, so it looks like my riding-horse supply is dwindling. Anyways, today we worked on "proper" collection, Freckles has a tendency to hold her head very high naturally, but is also a pro at false collection, my trainer calls it "pushing peanuts". When their nose is so low to the ground they could.. well, push peanuts around the arena. So, I needed to focus on keeping contact but also driving her forward with my legs so that she's engaging her entire body, and not faking it.

Then we worked on circles and my hands .. of course, anyone who has read this blog knows about my issues with my goddamn hands. I feel like i'm improving though! If that counts.

Then I got to work Freckles on the flag, at first it was a bit of a disaster, she was not stopping so we switched out bits. Then my trainer had my work on just stopping her completely with my seat, even though she leaks when she stops. Then we transitioned into seat with slight hands and with the combination of me being a little better with my stops, and her bitted up more she was stopping and better at the flag.

Next time: I'd like to do more flag work, hold her from drifting and generally work on my position/stops while working the flag. and of course, hands, hands, hands. 


Side note - my trainer needs to get down the number of horses he owns because he's bringing up horses from Texas. This means that Freckles is on the chopping block. I could buy her, (well.. I don't have the full amount, but i'm sure we could work something out), and a big part of me wants too, but another part of me is so unsure, I need to give this one some serious thought. I will be very sad to see her go.

No comments:

Post a Comment