Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Okay, Okay.. Snap Outta It!

So, as stated in my previous post, I've been mopin' about for the past 3-4 days. However, I was laying on my couch, attempting to do some readings and a particular Ian Tyson song came on. I love Ian Tyson, I have, I think, almost all of his albums on iTunes and i've seen him live. My grandmother, who I was exceptionally close with, passed away when I was in grade 6, also loved him. It's unfortunate that we never really got to experience him together. 

My mom and I, for the past little while, have been trying to remember her favourite song of his, and it continued to allude us. Then, tonight, as I was being annoyed with my life, I decided to put on some Ian Tyson as I read. A song i've heard probably a hundred time in the last 3 months came on, "50 years ago", but all of a sudden her voice was in my head. "& the sighing of the pines up here near the timber line makes me wish i'd done things different. Oh, but wishin' don't make it so. Oh the time has passed so quick, the years all run together now..." It's funny how at that very moment I could hear her so clearly "up here near the timber line", it was like she was right beside me. It was a nice moment, so often as time goes on you lose what seemed like small insignificant moments at the time of a person who has passed away, it's special when they come back to you. It was also a refreshing cuff upside the head (as she would have called it) to kick my butt out of this little slump, you want to make every moment count, not let the years all run together.

Here it is - for you, Nanny.

& then, as a final little uplifting moment, a favourite quote from Lee Ann Rust, who, at the age of 53 with one horse, Harley, won the WPRA Rookie of the Year...

"Success is having the courage, determination and will to become the person you believe you were meant to be."


No comments:

Post a Comment