Monday, December 3, 2012

Equestrian Challenge: Day 2.

Day 02- Your current riding goals

This... by, next week....

Robert Whitaker at the Stockholm International Horse Show
Jumping a 2.12 m wall on Waterstone 2, bareback.

Just Kidddddddddddding.



I have so many goals, maybe that's my problem?
I think I'll have to narrow it down, and break it into categories...

Short Term: Working on becoming a better rider, while training a "green" horse the basics.

- sometimes, this is easier said than done. What is that old saying... green + green = black & blue. With well-trained horses, you can fall into bad habits, and they catch you. With not-so well-trained horses, those habits will bite you in the ass... sometimes literally, sometimes figuratively! 
I have some goals in mind come summer... be able to take Jingle to a gymkhana, and calmly and successfully complete a barrel pattern & pole bending pattern (speed is not important). I would also like to find my horses right lead, and his stop, somewhere in his brain. :)


Long Term: 

For Myself: Show
(and show, successfully)

- it's no secret I want to try cutting, so, when I envision my long term goals I see myself at Fort Worth. However, ultimately, even if cutting isn't the avenue I find myself wandering down, I want to be able to show at a decently competitive level in some horse-sport. Why? Why isn't trail riding with my family enough? Curry combing the kids Shetlands while my hubby bbq's? Maybe that is in my future, BUT... I'm a highly competitive person, and I want to make horses my life, and my career, thus, showing competitively, and successfully, means that you have reached high levels of success, and skill. Both of those "S" words, are big words, and they mean a lot to me.


For Jingle: Kid's Horse.

- I mock shetlands, and now look what I want for my horse! Realistically, one of my happiest moments is when I envision a day that Jingle is semi-retired, giving young kids their first lessons, and being that dependable well-trained horse, that will catch them when they stumble.


4 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a new reader! I like your goals, they're pretty much all around good goals, the kind that you never really stop working towards, even the best riders still learn things!

    I'm also doing the challenge haha

    http://horseshoesandhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marissa, thanks for stopping by! I will be sure to check out your blog, this challenge is so fun! Gives me easy topics to write about each day, that is for sure. ;)

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog through Ranch Riding. Your 30 day challenge sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - I'll be sure to check out your blog! I can't take credit for it, I found it somewhere on the internet awhile back - you should join in!

      Delete