Monday, December 31, 2012

A New Year....


Got to the barn today, and after some less than stellar stuff going on, and a mean phone-call, horse-therapy was just what I needed.

Jingle leads in the barn just fine, but out in his turnout, coming in is a big issue. I've been doing all the ground tricks - back-up, move around me, move your feet, move to the side, lead! - but it just wasn't working, plus with all the cold and ice i'm not exactly happy having to lunge my horse outside. Then, I got an idea that should have come to me months ago. So, the last two times I've gone to get him, whether it be from the turnout field, or the feed yard, I've been bringing a lunge whip. I've probably lightly tapped him with it once or twice - and voila! - my horse is learning to lead. A little wide-eyed about the whip, but is leading nicely beside me back to the barn. Woooo-hoo.

After that, we lunged a bit, then played the "follow me around the arena game" in which I attempt to teach my horse what "Woah" means... getting there. However, he will now match my "gaits" with his. We even "trotted" over a cavaletti today.
Then, of course, as it is the last day of 2012 - we had to take a picture, (or five).
=)

"I hope you guyz give your ponies lots of cookies this year cause they really deserve it.
I deserve 500 cookies a day. Right Mahm?!"

Happy New Years from Me & the Big Man!
Tomorrow marks 4 months since I brought Jingle to my barn,
and tomorrow will also mark our first "new year" together. :)
Can't wait to see what the next year has in store for me and the brute.

No comments:

Post a Comment